Monday, January 01, 2007

Spare Time

I've spent most of my New Year's Eves at home, usually asleep when the ball drops. While I enjoy clean slates, new leaves, and similar symbols, the actual ticking down/up to midnight on January 1st does not excite me. I know the ticking itself is a symbol, but with so many clocks, watches, and cell phones around, it's the weakest of metaphors.

I used to have a clock on my radio, my CD player (also a radio), my VCR, and my computer. Does anyone need that many reminders in one room?

My New Year's message: Whenever possible, switch off that targeting computer and use the Force, Luke. Unlearn what you have learned.

You'll at least save the time spent checking all those clocks, not to mention setting them for Standard and Daylight-Saving Time.

No comments: