Monday, November 26, 2007

How I Spent Thanksgiving Weekend

I didn't post because my brother and I were playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Assassin's Creed for the PlayStation 3. Both are considered too easy by gamers more adept than ourselves, but we're moving along. We agree the former is the better game, an Indiana Jones-style story with ample jumping, shooting, quipping, and treasure-hunting.

Assassin's Creed is neat in its own right, but the storyline of your character being an assassin from the near future seems only in place to explain the game's crowded heads-up display. That said, I'm a sucker for a good sword fight.

When not playing video games, I watched two of my favorite Star Trek films, The Undiscovered Country (Spock enlists Kirk to negotiate peace after the Klingons' primary energy refinery explodes, crippling their economy) and First Contact (The Borg try to prevent humankind's first meeting with extraterrestrial life). I, of course, enjoyed the former as the last hurrah for the original Enterprise crew, but the DVD provides a fascinating look at why the Soviet Union collapsed and how fundamentalist thinking and international diplomacy work.

And you can't ask for a movie with higher stakes than the latter, a pulse-pounding horror flick as well as a return to Star Trek's roots (that unfortunately Enterprise mishandled).

No comments: