Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Vader vs. Superman?

Last night I tuned into the first tennis match at Madison Square Garden in eight years, an exhibition between Roger Federer and Pete Sampras. It was a close match, with Federer winning 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (8-6), but the pre-game pageantry was a bit much for me. John McEnroe interviewing Patrick McEnroe, Justin Gimelstob interviewing Ivan Lendl and Billie Jean King, all over the Garden's P.A. system. Federer came on court to a band playing Vader's Imperial March, Sampras to John Williams's Superman theme. There were smoke machines. I just wanted to see some tennis.

1 comment:

Graham Powell said...

I wish I coulda been there. My ultimate travel goal is a trip to Australia timed so I can catch a few matches at the Down Under Open.

Do you think they have Outback Steakhouses there?