Tuesday, September 02, 2008

High School Dropout

I was a junior in high school when Beverly Hills 90210 premiered, but the only episode I've ever watched is the one where Rick (Dean Cain) comes to Beverly Hills looking for Brenda. I watched the episode in reruns after Cain had become known as Clark Kent/Superman.

Yes, as steeped in pop culture as I am, as fascinated with Shannen Doherty, 90210 was a phenomenon I blissfully ignored. I probably won't watch tonight's premiere of The CW's "edgier" update, either.

5 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

What were your favorite shows during high school years?

Gerald So said...

Family Ties, Growing Pains, A Different World, Charles In Charge, MacGyver, Quantum Leap, Reasonable Doubts, Star Trek: TNG.

pattinase (abbott) said...

You could have been my son. Those were our favorites too. (Except for Reasonable Doubts. Can't remember that one.)

Barrie said...

Oh, yes, I find there are huge gaps in my pop culture education! Popped over for a visit from Pattinase's blog. ;)

Gerald So said...

Patti, Reasonable Doubts was an NBC legal drama with Marlee Matlin as a Chicago Assistant DA and Mark Harmon as a cop assigned to the DA's office. It also starred Kay Lenz as a criminal defense attorney antagonist to Matlin.

The show aired for two seasons, 1991-93.

Welcome, Barrie. Everyone has gaps, I find. Even the professional TV watchers at Zap2it.com don't cover everything. In my case, there are some shows and movies I don't watch, simply because they are so widely popular (Beverly Hills 80210, ER, CSI, American Idol, 24...). So much has been said about them I don't think I can add anything new.