Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Own Worst Enemy

I was zonked from Bouchercon and didn't catch the premiere last Monday, but I did see an encore of Christian Slater's new show last night and liked it. Edward Albright is a highly trained covert operative; Henry Spivey is his deeply entrenched cover identity. When the psychic wall between them begins to erode, they must work together to save each other.

Slater's quiet intensity has always reminded me of a young Jack Nicholson. It's good to see his career rebounding. Like Robert Downey Jr. did with Tony Stark, Slater injects the roles of Henry and Edward with life experience no other actor could.

I'm not sure spy dramas can last in the current climate, but I'd like to see the show explore deep questions of identity untouched by lighter fare.

Did anyone else catch Henry Spivey reading Lee Child's Bad Luck and Trouble in bed? Except the title on the dust jacket was Inside the Organization by Brennan Dyson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I did, more than three years later than your blog entry. I immediately googled the book and your blog entry was on top.

C. Suner, İstanbul, 11.14.2011