Saturday, November 15, 2008

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Last night the latest animated Batman series premiered on Cartoon Network, a lighter take reminiscent of the Adam West/Burt Ward series, aimed at younger audiences. Batman: The Brave and the Bold has a broad-shouldered, wisecracking Batman teaming up each week with the likes of Blue Beetle, Green Arrow, and Plastic Man.

The premiere opened with Batman and Green Arrow tied up, being lowered into a vat of acid by the Clock King but mainly focused on the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle (voiced by once-and-future Batman Will Friedle) as a hero in training.

I'm not sold on Diedrich Bader voicing Batman, but I'll tune in next week.

3 comments:

Graham Powell said...

Diedrich Bader? Funny dude, but Batman?

Hobster said...

I can handle Bader as Batman (particularly with the feel they seem to be going for here), but Will Friedle as Beetle? That was an odd choice, I thought--but he pulled it off.

I don't see this series being anywhere near as good as the last two animated Bats--but it seems fun enough.

Gerald So said...

Will Friedle has the knack, same as Michael Rosenbaum, to make every voice he does sound different enough from the last.

I also like Bader for the tone they're going for, but I thought his voice should be deeper. I've heard it gets deeper later in the series.