Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Favorite Novel of 2009

If I made new year's resolutions, one of them would be to read more than I did in 2009. You don't need me to tell you reading keeps the imagination more active than watching TV or movies. I tired of mystery/crime fiction for a time this year, and for that time didn't read much of anything. Checking my blog, though, I did manage to read some of the year's new crime/mystery/thriller (Sorry.) releases.

As I've mentioned, Paul Levine and S.J. Rozan are two of my favorite writers. Paul's fiction took a decidedly dark turn from the Solomon vs. Lord series with Illegal, while S.J. brought back her famous duo of Lydia Chin and Bill Smith after a seven-year hiatus in The Shanghai Moon. I loved both books, but I knew I would, so my favorite novel of 2009, based in part on newness, is Ridley Pearson's Killer Summer. I was most impressed with Pearson's blending of high-stakes thriller pace with small town local color.

2 comments:

Ridley said...

Thank you, Gerald! You've made my New Year!
Ridley Pearson

Scott D. Parker said...

The Shanghai Moon was my first, but not last, Rozan novel. I loved it.