Thursday, April 08, 2010

Tiger, Tiger

I'm not a golf fan or a Tiger Woods fan, so I had no reaction to the discoveries of infidelity that derailed his marriage and career. On the other hand, the Nike ad using the disembodied voice of Earl Woods to announce his son's professional and supposed personal comeback does not sit well with me.

My objection is that Earl Woods is dead; his words were taken out of context and may even have been wholly constructed to deliver the ad's intended message. There's no way to know how he would have reacted to Tiger's actions.

Let me add that I didn't like the use of Marlon Brando's voice and image in Superman Returns or the use of Gene Kelly dancing with Paula Abdul, or John Wayne drinking Coke. Tiger's goal is to appear genuine, but the Nike ad is staged from beginning to end.

No comments: