Monday, June 28, 2010

THE APPRENTICE by Tess Gerritsen

Having followed Tess Gerritsen's blog over the years, The Apprentice is the first of her books I've read. Now two weeks from the premiere of TNT's "Rizzoli and Isles" starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander, I wanted to get some background on the characters before watching the show.

Still recovering from a traumatic encounter with serial killer Warren Hoyt, dubbed The Surgeon, Boston PD Det. Jane Rizzoli catches a case with eerie similarities to Hoyt's m.o. The stakes are raised when Hoyt ingeniously escapes from prison and connects with the new killer.

I'm not much a fan of serial killer books, and though The Apprentice introduces M.E. Dr. Maura Isles, I didn't see the friendship yet that the TV series touts. I did appreciate Gerritsen's attention to detail and how well I got to know Jane Rizzoli, how she and FBI agent Gabriel Dean challenged and fascinated each other. I got a good sense of all the characters, except perhaps for Isles, who only appeared in a professional capacity.

The novel's momentum was very good. There were times the momentum surged and I skimmed the writing as if watching a movie. On one hand, I didn't want to give the writing short shrift; on the other, the goal of any creative writing is to draw readers in as much as I was.

Soon I'll have a chance to read the latest Rizzoli/Isles book, Ice Cold. It will be interesting to note the series' progress and changes.

No comments: