Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Bones to Pick with Rizzoli & Isles

I'm actually quite a fan of Bones veteran Janet Tamaro's TV series from Tess Gerritsen's books, but I couldn't help rolling my eyes several times at last night's episode. In short, Dr. Isles comes across a murder victim with whom she surprisingly shares DNA. She reasons he is none other than her half-brother, making her long-lost birth father a hardened criminal. Sound familiar, Bones fans?

Sure, there are key differences between the two TV characters, but this part of their backstories and the emotional baggage it brings is identical. I haven't read all the Rizzoli & Iskes books, but I would guess Maura's background was jazzed up for TV, just as Brennan's was. I would have liked to think someone worked on Bones would take special care to dodge such striking similarities. I'm reminded of the sameness among all of Robert Parker's series. I'd like to think Parker could have gone to greater lengths to distinguish his series from each other, but maybe he didn't do it because he couldn't do it.

There's still hope the long-lost father arc will be downplayed or dropped. If it becomes a throughline for Rizzoli & Isles, I'll pass, having already watched five seasons of Bones.

No comments: