Thursday, September 23, 2010

Quick TV Takes

Here are the new shows I've watched midway through this first week of the broadcast TV season:

Monday 10PM - "Hawaii Five-0" - I'm still a "Castle" fan, but I was curious about this re-imagining from the writers of J.J. Abrams's Star Trek. The original Five-0 was too by-the-book for me despite its exotic setting. I like this version despite a far-fetched slam-bang opening gambit. See my full review here.

Wednesday 10PM - "The Defenders" - I'd rather watch Jim Belushi and Jerry O'Connell in Vegas than Rob Morrow and Maura Tierney wherever "The Whole Truth" is set. Reviews are mixed, but I think this show has the potential to deliver the feel of a Paul Levine novel, and you know I'm there for that.

Tonight's "S@#! My Dad Says" looks meh, but I may blink at it between "The Big Bang Theory" and "Bones". I'm a fan of Shatner and Nicole Sullivan, but I think the concept has the life expectancy of that show about the GEICO Cavemen.

1 comment:

Scott D. Parker said...

Watched H50 on Tuesday (still watching Castle live) and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Never watched the original, but did notice the quick scene on the hotel balcony that echoed the intro from the original.

Watched The Defenders last night and really enjoyed it. In both shows, character chemistry is what will win the day as each will have a crime-a-week premise. Belushi surprising in his portrayal of Nick, especially how he "solved" the crime.