Monday, May 02, 2011

Afterthoughts

I dozed off last night around the sixth inning of the Mets/Phillies game. When I woke, the score was still tied 1-1 in the 14th inning, and the news of Osama bin Laden's death was flashing across ESPN's ticker. I'm glad to have slept through the initial reaction. I don't know how I would have reacted.

I thought the invasion of Iraq was a mistake, that our intelligence wasn't good enough to go in, certainly not to stay in Iraq this long. I knew that if and when bin Laden were found, it would be by a small Special Operations unit. That said, conventional warfare probably played a role in putting bin Laden on the run.

Was all the time, money, and effort worth it to get our man? You'll have to ask someone more closely affected than I by the U.S.S. Cole bombing and the World Trade Center attacks, but I'll bet the answer is yes.

No comments: