Sunday, October 09, 2011

THOR (2011)

The first time I tried to watch Thor was at a cousin's house just before my road trip to Bouchercon. I fell asleep in minutes. This weekend, Thor arrived from my brother's Netflix queue, and I gave it another go.

I know Thor comes from Asgard, but I found most of the Asgard scenes unnecessary, cutting into what otherwise might have been a well-paced movie. Chris Hemsworth looked the part of Thor, and I bought into his learning humility from his time on Earth, which could have been even more meaningful if the movie didn't keep shifting back to Asgard.

Thor's opposition lacked something. The Frost Giants were your run-of-the-mill monsters/orcs/Dark Riders. Loki was more whiny than threatening, and the robot Destroyer that came closest to killing Thor was simply programmed to do so.

I did enjoy Jeremy Renner's cameo as Hawkeye. I hope the Avengers plot gives Thor something more worth hammering.

Here are my Twitter updates throughout the movie:


1 comment:

Graham Powell said...

THOR left me pretty cold, except for some of the comedy parts (i.e. Natalie Portman's driving). I heard they were considering Brian Blessed for Odin - that would have made for a different movie!