Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Presence

It's Christmas Day, and for the first time I'm not expecting any presents from my extended family. I've had to tighten my belt for the second year in a row, and I don't want my relatives splurging on me, either. I say this knowing there will be presents anyway. From this perspective, I'll be truly surprised and pleased whatever they are.

The truth is, I've never had enough money to buy gifts for everyone. And I wouldn't be just checking names off a list; each of them has helped me in ways I can never repay. The only gift I can bring is my presence, to make our time together the best it can be.

Peace and good will today and every day.


UPDATE: This year, for once, the family stuck to the idea of giving only one present each, Kris Kringle-style. I planned to give cash, but my Kringlee went to Canada for the weekend with his girlfriend, who turned out to be my Kris Kringle.

Her gift, a $50 card to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, was purchased by proxy, and I'm sure I'll use it toward some essential appliance in the future.

Part of the fun, of course, was trying to guess who each person's Kris Kringle was. I was on the right track for myself and my brother, but his Kringle skillfully lied when confronted. Said brother's Kringle also threw us off the scent of my Kringle for a while. Well played.

No comments: