Thursday, August 16, 2012

Melky Cabrera

Former Yankee outfielder Melky Cabrera, a member of the 2009 championship team, was suspended fifty games yesterday, having tested positive for elevated testosterone. Melky was among the league leaders in hits this season with a .346 average and was named MVP of the All-Star game. As a Yankee, Melky was a streaky hitter, his strong defense not making up for his inconsistent offense. As glad as I was to see him succeed, I was also suspicious.

I'm suspicious of all athletes today, and I feel terrible about it. I want to enjoy sports at face value. I want to believe people are doing their best and succeeding naturally. But the sad fact is, as long as major money is involved, professional athletes will do anything to get an edge.

I would only be shocked anymore to hear Derek Jeter were on PEDs. Now 38 years old, Derek is also among the league leaders in hits this season, after having batted .270 with his second-lowest season hit total in 2010. Derek is not only a Yankee, but also symbolizes everything good about sports and how to carry oneself on and off the field. In his case, I hope image is reality.

No comments: