Friday, October 05, 2012

Still Pensive After All These Years

At last the circle is complete. The calendar has come around to my birthday again. I've always looked past the surface of life, tried to see how nature works and what motivates people. I don't know that I've become more pensive with age, having spent what I'm told are the prime partying years happily sober in institutions of higher learning.

In the past few months, I have done more physical work, learning some yoga and qi gong on my own, moving when I might be brooding. I've never been far out of shape, but neither have I moved or felt as flexible as I want. That's starting to change. Most important, I'm doing this for myself. I may not look that different. Indeed, no one but my mother has said anything. But I know the work I've done, and I want to continue raising my standards.

I have nothing special planned for today, but last Thursday, I walked about two miles to the nearest train station and had lunch in Times Square with three college friends. To make time for each other in our busy lives is a gift.

As always, if you want to give me a present, read my work (including my editing work). Enjoy it and tell me so.

No comments: