Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Empty Copper Sea

With the title of a later Travis McGee novel, I mark my return to the Web, only a few hours later than predicted. A few trees came down on my block, thankfully none into anyone's house or car. Power was out from 5:35 Monday afternoon, shortly before Hurricane Sandy made landfall, until 8:30 tonight.

The South Shore of Long Island was not so lucky. Portions of two major parkways are still flooded. I hear a chunk of the Ocean Parkway is gone, as is the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, and almost the entire Queens neighborhood of Breezy Point.

Sandy was the most devastating hurricane in a generation, and I thank everyone helping the affected states to recover, especially, in my case, the reassuring voices of Andrew Cuomo, Mike Bloomberg, Chris Christie, and the reporters at CBS Newsradio 880.

1 comment:

John DuMond said...

I'm glad to hear you're okay, Gerald.