Thursday, March 14, 2013

Crimespree Magazine at 50

I received my copy of Crimespree #50 today, including many contributors' remembrances how they came to be involved with the magazine. I wasn't asked, but allow me to gush here on my blog.

Jon Jordan, a.k.a. "NoDoze", a.k.a. "makemenachos", was a longtime and enthusiastic member of my P.I. fiction discussion DetecToday when Dave White encouraged me to pitch Jon a DVD review of Veronica Mars Season One. Jon referred me to Entertainment Editor Jeremy Lynch, and countless words later, I still love working with them any chance I get.

Over the years, I've had the thrills of turning Jon on to NCIS, of turning Jeremy on to The Middleman, of interviewing Ace Atkins for Crimespree two days after the announcement he was continuing Robert B. Parker's Spenser...

And yet, more than any piece I've done for the magazine, I've enjoyed the people behind it. Before my first Bouchercon in 2008, I blogged about whether I should use a backpack. Jon not only phoned me with luggage advice, but we chatted a good while longer. Jon and Ruth were also kind enough to do an ad exchange so I could spread the word about The Lineup in Crimespree.

I wish them continued success and look forward to many more memories.

No comments: