Monday, April 15, 2013

Sports Takes

  • The Knicks claim their first Atlantic Division title since 1994 and clinch the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. I was glad to see the Knicks vault from the turning point of the season. I don't think they'll beat Miami, but they are once again a respectable contender. Kudos, Mike Woodson.
  • Kobe Bryant tears his ACL. I'm not a Kobe fan, but I wouldn't wish this injury on anyone. Most recently I followed Mariano Rivera's recovery from the ACL he tore while shagging flyballs, but explosive basketball players like Kobe and Dominique Wilkins don't regain their form. I think Kobe will have to adopt a new style of play, but as many aging athletes do, I'm sure he can.
  • Rutgers' men's basketball scandalized. I signed up as practice and equipment manager for the volleyball team in high school largely because I'd befriended the coach, who many classmates saw as verbally gruff and demanding. I saw that it was an act to motivate his students. Mike Rice clearly crossed the line by physically abusing his students, and everyone who allowed it in any way should answer for that. As a fan of all the old Big East schools to some degree, I wish Rutgers luck rebuilding the program.

No comments: