Tuesday, June 11, 2013

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

In the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel to 2009's Star Trek, the bombing of a London archive puts Starfleet on high alert. A strategy meeting ends with a second attack by the fugitive John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) that kills Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood) and several senior staff.

The top remaining commander orders Kirk, recently demoted to Pike's first officer, to pursue Harrison into Klingon space and kill him.

I had heard several negative reviews going in and thought the major plot twist had been leaked/publicized/spoiled years in advance. Added to my general pessimism for sequels, I was prepared to just tolerate this movie, but there was a lot more I didn't know, a lot of meat.

Into Darkness is most ingenuous in echoing the original Star Trek II but upending it. Some well-known lore was glossed over, making some twists feel abrupt, but nothing stopped me from enjoying. If another is made, I'm there.

No comments: