Sunday, February 07, 2016

"Our love for him now ain't hard to explain."

© by Gerald So | geraldso.blogspot.com | 7:30 A.M.

My Core2 Duo E6300 Dell Dimension E520, named after Jayne Cobb, had served me well for an amazing 9-1/2 years running Ubuntu Linux with only one RAM upgrade midway through. Last Tuesday, it shut down without warning. I tried airing it out, but my more computer-savvy brother suspected the real problem was the thermal compound had worn out.

Replacing the compund, while not expensive, is an intricate job, and no telling how much more life it would squeeze out. So I spent much of last week catching up on ten years of advancement in computer parts, putting together the order for my next PC.

Thankfully, I was able to back up my writing to cloud storage, and odds are good I'll be able to get the rest from Jayne's hard drive once I have a working place to put it.

The new computer should get to me in a week or two. In the meantime, I'm working from a cheap laptop my brother bought for the sole purpose of communicating with a printer support program that only runs in Windows.

Tomorrow's Five-Two poem will post as scheduled, but February 15th's and 22nd's poems may be accompanied by a different-looking video as said laptop doesn't have my usual graphics, fonts, and video software.

For fellow semi-geeks, here are some key specs of my new computer:

  • INTEL Core™ i5-6400 Quad core 2.7–3.30GHz TB, HD Graphics 530, LGA 1151, 6MB L3 Cache, DDR4-2133, 14nm, 65W, Processor
  • KINGSTON 8GB HyperX Fury Black PC4-17000 DDR4 2133MHz CL14 (14-14-14) 1.2V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC Memory
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper TX-3 CPU Cooler
  • TUNIQ TX-2 High-Performance Thermal Compound
  • SAMSUNG 250GB 850 EVO SSD
  • LG ELECTRONICS WH16NS40 Black 16x / 16x / 48x BD / DVD / CD Blu-ray Disc™ Burner, M-Disc, SATA

No comments: