Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day

© by Gerald So | geraldso.blogspot.com | 6:00 P.M.

My father died aged 66 from a recurrence of cancer in May 2001. At Mass today, a visiting priest's homily combined Father's Day with a reflection on death, as in the gospel reading, Jesus tells the Apostles his coming death will fulfill his purpose, opening the way to the next life for his followers.

I've never been as sad as I was at my dad's death, but at the same time, it was a good death. We'd had five-and-a-half more years with him than we expected. My mother, aunt, brother, and I all got to be with him when he died.

I have trouble imagining the next life. No one may be capable of grasping it. I take solace, though, knowing my father no longer suffers from cancer, that he didn't have to witness 9/11 or any evils since then.

He did good when he had the chance. Who could ask for anything more?

No comments: