Thursday, December 29, 2016

Reflection

© by Gerald So | 8:00 A.M.

L to R around the table: John, Matt, me, Andrew, Deshant

Tuesday night, I had dinner with college friends and fellow Star Wars fans Andrew Carbone, Deshant Paúl, John Ricotta, and Matt Tedesco at Dinosaur BBQ in Brooklyn. Quickly and naturally, talk turned to that morning's death of Carrie Fisher, and last night brought news of her mother Debbie Reynolds' death.

Quite a few celebrities have died this month, in fact, which you might see as more reason to lament 2016. I, however, hesitate to blame time for anything. Instead, I remind myself to treasure friends, family, people I admire, and things I enjoy as long as I can.

Andrew, Deshant, John, Matt, and I became friends because, in 1995, we and a few others were interested in starting a literary magazine at Hofstra more inclusive and more likely to stand the test of time than the previous few. As we found our way through setting up and running Font, we knew our chemistry was special. We didn't need retrospect to realize. We wanted to stay in touch, so we have.

And though we no longer run Font, the student body has kept it active all these years. We must have done something right.

No comments: