Tuesday, October 05, 2004

The Actual Gerald So

My last couple of birthdays were melancholy. Not that I lamented growing older, but I would sit around and wait for something to make the day memorable. This year, I went out and made things special for myself--namely attending S.J. Rozan's ABSENT FRIENDS launch party at Partners & Crime.

Having enjoyed Rozan's Lydia Chin and Bill Smith P.I. series for years, I was wary of introducing myself. In fact, I'd failed to do so just days earlier.

This time, I arrive an hour early and buy my copy of the book. Rozan arrives half an hour early. We start up the same small talk until she extends a hand across the table.

"S.J. Rozan."

"I'm Gerald So."

Her face lights up. "The actual Gerald So?"

I start a recap of how we met at an About.com Mystery Chat (discontinued), how I responded on her blog--none of which is necessary. She remembers all of it.

She starts signing before a crowd files in, and when my turn comes, she says, "The actual Gerald So. Can I write that?"

"Go right ahead."

Wow!

Speaking of the crowd, I saw Lee Child enter, towering over it. Reed Farrel Coleman and I went for a snack at about the same time. And last but not least, James Gandolfini stopped in to chat with S.J. and have his book signed.

As a loyal citizen of Zamunda once said, "I will cherish this experience for the rest of my life."

Big thanks to S.J. and, once again, the staff of Partners & Crime.

No comments: