Friday, July 08, 2005

Evan Hunter's Influences and Process

During a BN.com author chat on January 6, 1999 I asked Hunter about his influences and writing process.

His response:
I don't know if my influences would be the same as yours. When I was coming on and just beginning writing, the influences for my generation were Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, and in the mystery field Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, James M. Cain. I am not sure who the models are now. My own method of starting a novel is, with a mystery novel, I start with a title. For a long time I used single word titles that had to have many resonances and meanings. THE BIG BAD CITY -- I have used this phrase in many other novels. It has echoed so long in my books along the line. But anyway, I usually just jump right in and start writing with a scene that is absolutely compelling and will keep the readers attention. I keep going and if the energy starts to flag, I start plotting on paper and outlining. A good way for beginning writers to find their own voice (this may sound peculiar) is to copy something by someone they admire word for word. Actually type it. Get the feeling for what it is like. I am not suggesting plagiarism. This is just an exercise.

No comments: