Saturday, January 31, 2004

DVD Vault: The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001)

I first caught this Woody Allen movie on HBO--just before our plan shifted and I'd need an additional cable box to get HBO. Set in 1940, it follows insurance investigator C.W. Briggs (Allen) clashing with efficiency expert Betty Ann Fitzgerald (Helen Hunt) while trying to solve a baffling series of jewelry heists (committed mostly by himself under hypnosis).

I've heard this movie described as "not quite top-notch Allen," but for me--a mystery fan who hasn't seen much of Allen's work--it was great fun, with some of the sharpest banter I've heard. I especially like C.W.'s attempts to explain away the evidence against him and his suspicion of Betty Ann, as he's often caught red-handed:

Fitzgerald: You're searching my desk!

Briggs: I wasn't searching. I was rummaging.

No comments: