Monday, May 17, 2004

License to Read

Yesterday's birthdays included the current James Bond, Pierce Brosnan (51); Janet Jackson (38); and Angel star David Boreanaz.

I'm reminded that I haven't read all of Ian Fleming's original Bond books. When budgeting time to write and time to read, writing takes precedence because I always have something to read; I don't always have something to write.

Sometimes while reading I get the urge to write, like gazing out the window during a history lecture. In the first days of Font, one of the staff's favorite activities was watching movies. Now that we see each other less often, there are fewer movies and more meals with chances to chat.

Watching movies is passive, as my philosopher friend Matt Tedesco first pointed out. I do it when I'm in the mood to take in without offering something back. The same is true of reading. The best reading gives me something to write and still engages me enough to want to return and finish reading.

No comments: