Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Loren D. Estleman

Sarah Weinman's blog led me to an interview with Loren D. Estleman, and I've decided to catch up with the Amos Walker series, now back in print at iBooks.

Amos Walker is a self-professed anachronism. In his debut, he is a hardened thirty-one year-old former MP who boxed in college. While not as high-profile as Parker or Crais, Estleman has spent near twenty-five years hammering out--on a typewriter--solid work in several genres.

Reading the second Walker book, Angel Eyes, I realize that Estleman is not writing to cash in on the latest trends, but to remind readers what a novel can be at its core: no wasted words.

He is one to learn from.

1 comment:

Megan said...

The first time I read that post my brain translated it as "Member of Parliament." Given the Detroit locale, this confused me for a moment.