Monday, July 05, 2004

Spidey 2 Raises the Bar

My brother and I just got back from Spider-Man 2. The bar for superhero movies has just been raised. Not to give too much away, I'll say this movie blends almost seamlessly with the first. British actor Alfred Molina makes Dr. Otto Octavius human and likeable. (I've been a fan of Molina since he played Angel in the Mel Gibson Maverick movie, and have since learned he played Satipo in Raiders of the Lost Ark: "Throw me the idol, I throw you the whip.")

At the heart of the story is Peter's choice between fighting crime as Spider-Man and having a "normal life" with M.J. as Peter. This movie--better than any before--shows it's not the suit but the person in the suit that makes a hero.

2 comments:

Graham Powell said...

If you like Molina you need to check out Frida, in which he plays Diego Garcia, Frida's (Salma Hayek's) husband.

It's even better is you like Salma.

Gerald So said...

It's even better if you like SalmaWho doesn't?