Friday, October 29, 2004

Halloween Retrospective

I have mixed feelings about Halloween. Knocking on doors for candy always seemed a bit forward. Masks were often stuffy. Most seriously, I don't approve of the license for nastiness some people take on Halloween.

On the other hand, I have some great memories. Senior year at Hofstra, my friend John came in with a Freddy Kreuger mask and claw, which I borrowed and proceeded to dash across the campus bridge over Hempstead Turnpike.

Lately as a teacher I've worn a Superman shirt on Halloween under my shirt and tie. (I wear a shirt and tie regularly--the better to pull off Clark Kent's quick-change on Halloween.)

And of course there was the eighth grade Halloween Dance I attended as a thrift-store Phantom of the Opera. I chickened out of dancing with the girl I had a crush on. The follow-up to this: I chickened out again at the Graduation Dance. We went to different high schools, but I heard through the grapevine she misremembered we had danced...

No comments: