Friday, October 29, 2004

The Man Without Fear

As you may know, my favorite superhero is Marvel's Daredevil (a.k.a. blind Hell's Kitchen lawyer Matt Murdock). A radioactive accident gave Murdock heightened senses, but also took away his sight. Matt's powers are not so far a stretch from the skills real blind and disabled people learn. The more true-to-life a fiction is, the more readily I go with it.

Another aspect of Daredevil I like is his tendency to bring out the softer sides of femmes fatale like Elektra Natchios and Natasha Romanov.

Until this week, I'd been holding off reading Brian Bendis's run on Daredevil. The Underboss series--in which Daredevil's identity threatens to become common knowledge--flashes back and forth in a way I wasn't sure I'd like. Also, some readers have hated Bendis's run. I finished Underboss yesterday. The time-jumps worked for me, and now I have some catching up to do.

No comments: