Monday, January 17, 2005

A Book By Any Other Name

Duane Swierczynski blogs that he's been asked to think of a new title for his second novel, which sold to St. Martin's. It's thought that the original title, SMELL THE ROSES, would make readers erroneously think cozy. So, since Christmas, Duane has waited for a brainstorm to bring him the new title.

I commented:

The title will come to you, Duane. Just be ready for it. Speaking of flowers, the title of my first Chris Harvey P.I. story was originally "The Laker Girl Murder"; however, as the story's tone went from spoof to serious, "The Laker Girl Murder" seemed too campy. Not to mention it gave away a crucial event of the story. Fairly late in revisions, I came up with the title "Forgive Me Not", which sounds like the flower forget-me-not, but slightly more noir to my mind.

No comments: