Saturday, January 15, 2005

Elektra

I like Frank Miller's Elektra as a foil/love interest for Matt Murdock, but I have little interest in her solo exploits. It's a case of two good characters bringing out the best in each other ala Batman and Catwoman or Buffy and Angel.

Critics are panning the Elektra spinoff movie starring Jennifer Garner. Elektra strikes me as a force of vengeance whose humanity is only brought out by Matt Murdock. This probably translates to a movie with lots of action and little story. For that, I can wait for video.

For a few years I wanted Robert Parker to write a book with Hawk as the main character, but now I think it would pose the same problems as a movie about Elektra or a series with Angel. Unless you are willing to show these characters moving on, living fuller lives without their more famous counterparts, there's bound to be less energy behind the spinoff.

No comments: