Sunday, May 08, 2005

My Current Writing Process

One piece of writing advice I'm trying to follow is to write every day. For better or worse, my process this past week was to think about writing, to try writing and come up dry for days, only to break out this morning.

Whatever works. This may be why I haven't settled on a novel. I like the freedom to follow random ideas where they lead. Ideally, I might be able to work on a novel and a story and a poem in the same day...I said "ideally," right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, following random ideas every day is how I eventually completed the first draft of my first novel. You start with an idea and just run with it. If you feel like writing poetry one day, write the novel in poetic verse. Eventually you will either get into a rythm with the novel and thats what you will start thinking about all of the time, or you will have a 300+ page mess of a book that's unique but doesn't make any sense. But at least you'll have a book done and that makes writing the second one even easier. just my opinion...