Wednesday, June 08, 2005

"It is forbidden...It is forbidden..."

"It is forbidden for you to interfere in human history."

With a day off yesterday, Dave White was watching Superman (1978) on AMC. He blogged:
Now my problem comes toward the climax of the film. In it, Lex Luthor gives Superman one of those Super-hero sadistic choices. He fires two missiles. One toward California where Lois Lane is and one toward Hackensack, NJ. After making a deal with a woman who saves his life, Superman saves Hackensack first.

Then the nukes go off in California and Lois dies. Superman gets pissed, flies around the world backwards and changes time and saves Lois.

My question is... what the hell happened to Hackensack? We're just conveniently supposed to forget Hackensack? The missile obviously went back in time and kept going...

I commented:

IMO, Superman was way too powerful in the movies, but I don't think he has enough mass to reverse the earth's rotation. Even if he did, physically reversing the earth would not reverse time.

If Luthor were really smart, he would use half the kryptonite to stall Superman in the pool, and the other half he would split between each missile, so Superman would get too weak to knock them out.

But then we wouldn't have a movie franchise.

3 comments:

Dave White said...

John, I would miss NJ. I would miss it a lot. I would also miss myself. They don't show Superman go after either missle after he stops time, I think we're supposed to believe he turned time back just enough to save Lois, but not stop the bomb.

Obsidian, that's the best answer I got, but it made my brain hurt. A lot.

Gerald So said...

Ah. Your explanation fits, Jim. The visuals threw me off, but I guess there was no better way to show time-travel.

I still say Superman was too powerful in the movies.

He can make his S into a big kite and trap Zod? He can make Lois forget stuff by kissing her?

Anonymous said...

Time travel? Hah! He can do a lot more than that.

Super Weaving
http://www.superdickery.com/stupor/6.html

Super Math
http://www.superdickery.com/stupor/2.html

And the ever popular Super-Landscaping
http://www.superdickery.com/stupor/12.html