Saturday, October 06, 2007

Not Our Year (?)

Amid twelve years of success in Yankeeland, the team has had a nasty habit of losing on my birthday. Last night was no exception. Though Andy Pettitte pitched spectacularly into the seventh inning, locusts (actually flying ants called Canadian soldiers) plagued Joba Chamberlain in the eighth, causing him to surrender a 1-0 lead.

The swarm did not faze Mariano Rivera, who pitched two innings of scoreless ball before Luis Vizcaino gave up the game-winning base hit to a heretofore ineffective Travis Hafner.

The Yankees' 2007 season now rests on the 45-year-old arm and balky hamstrings of Roger Clemens. I am not optimistic.

Forget retractable roofs. Give me some decent mosquito nets.

And I'd be remiss not to mention the continuing struggles of Alex Rodriguez ("Mr. Regular Season") and semi-permanent DH Hideki Matsui.

1 comment:

Dave White said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(oh, I thought A rod was up)