Monday, November 05, 2007

WGA Strike - Day One

The Writers Guild of America is on strike as of 12:01 AM Pacific. As you might guess, I side with the writers. The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) makes the point that there is less money in the industry to pay the writers, but the industry's income is not the issue. With the evolving technology through which content is delivered, written work is used in more places, and writers should receive a bigger piece of the pie, whatever the bottom line.

As a fan of TV and movies, I don't want anything to keep them from being made, be it a writers' strike, directors' strike, or actors' strike; however, sometimes action must be forced, when continuing to work is tacit approval of working conditions. The writers probably won't get all they want, but it seems a good time to ask.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm home, trying to cut ten pages out of my spec pilot. Later this week I'll be working on some comics so that I can pay my rent this month. But as a non-union writer, I will absolutely be out there on the picket lines with my friends and colleagues if the strike lasts more than a few days. I can't say I'm happy about it, but for my money, Jon Stewart says it best:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.
jhtml?videoId=127766&title=moment-of-zen-
torture

-CB in Los Angeles