Saturday, December 29, 2007

Thrilling Detective Holiday Style

The holiday issue of Thrilling Detective went live yesterday, with stories by Dick Stodghill, R. Narvaez, and Paul Sundeson, as well as an excerpt from Max Allan Collins's Deadly Beloved. Also, editor Kevin Burton Smith brings back the P.I. Poll for the 2007 Cheap Thrill Awards. See my responses below:

THE BEST P.I. BOOK AWARD
For Books First Published in 2007

Big City, Bad Blood by Sean Chercover

THE OTHER BEST P.I. BOOK AWARD
For Books You Read in 2007, Regardless of When They Were First Published

First Drop by Zoe Sharp

BY THE BALLS
The P.I. Book That Grabbed You Hardest in 2007
(I wasn't sure what this meant, but... - Gerald)

The Wrong Kind of Blood by Declan Hughes

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
The Best New P.I. in 2007, in Any Medium

Michael Westen, TV's Burn Notice

THE NAUGHTY NINETIES:
The Best P.I.s of the Nineties... and Beyond

If Easy Rawlins counts, my vote goes to him.

SLIM PICKINGS
THE BEST P.I. FILM/TV SHOW AWARD
For Films/Shows First Released in 2007

Burn Notice

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
The Worst P.I. Film/TV Shows Released in 2007

Pushing Daisies (It has a P.I. in it. I'm not sure it's a P.I. show, but if they're calling it one, it's a bad one.)

WHAT THEY SHOULD BE THINKING
P.I. TV Shows and Movies That SHOULD Be on DVD

Vengeance Unlimited, Marlowe (James Garner), Andy Barker P.I. (Why not?)

SPINNING WHEELS GOT TO GO ROUND
Best PI Movie or TV Show Released on DVD in 2007

Vincent Series 1

BEST MYSTERY MAG, WEB SITE, E-ZINE, LIST-SERV, BLOG or NEWSGROUP
Fiction or Non-Fiction, In Print or On-Line Besides Thrilling, Natch!

Shred of Evidence

SNAPPY PATTER
Best One-Liner in P.I. Fiction (read or seen) of 2007

"Go. Sleep badly. Any questions, hesitate to call." --Gay Perry (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang)

THE RISING TO THE OCCASION AWARD
What gives you the most hope for the future of the P.I.?

The fact that the P.I. has lasted seven or eight decades already. I don't think people will ever tire of seeing the detached outsider come in and resolve situations for better or worse.

THE LIMP DICK AWARD
Biggest Disappointment

Higher-priced, less satisfying reads.

BLACK IS BLACK
The Darkest P.I. Novel This Year

Songs of Innocence by Richard Aleas

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US
How should we mark our 10th anniversary?
(Coming this April?)

How about a "Where are They Now?" essay covering some of the P.I. writers who've dropped below radar since 1998?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thanks for the nod. And the heads up about the new TD stories.