Friday, July 04, 2008

Friday the 4th Forgotten Book

Patti Abbott asked me to blog about a forgotten children's book, but I wasn't big on reading until high school. The first books to pique my interest were To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye, hardly forgotten.

So I'll blog about the first extracurricular reading I did, The Fifth Profession by David Morrell. The cover touted Morrell as the creator of Rambo and its synopsis grabbed me.

Ex-Navy SEAL-turned-professional bodyguard Savage is hired to rescue beautiful Rachel Stone from her abusive husband. Teaming with fellow bodyguard and modern samurai Akira, Savage plunges into a globe-trotting adventure with surprising psychological depth.

Two months after reading The Fifth Profession, I got hooked on Robert B. Parker's Spenser and his similar dynamic with Hawk, and the rest is bookshelf history.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Gerald-Sorry to get this up late. I didn't know if you were doing one.

Gerald So said...

No worries, Patti. I didn't get to reply to your e-mail with things heating up on Shortmystery. Happy to participate any Friday I can.