Saturday, October 23, 2010

Smallville: "Isis"

This final season of Smallville began with Lois confirming her suspicion that Clark was a strange visitor from another planet known for now as The Blur. For the past five episodes, Clark has been struggling to tell Lois while Lois has been struggling to tell Clark she already knows.

After Lois was possessed by the spirit of Egyptian goddess Isis, giving her Blur-like powers but threatening her life, and making Cat Grant believe Lois was The Blur, this is how the big scene in the supply room unfolded:

LOIS
I know the pen is mightier than the sword, but Cat was off her rocker. I mean Lois Lane is amazing, but you and I both know that I'm not the world's greatest superhero.

CLARK
Lois, I'm sorry you had to get a ballpoint in the hand for the truth to come out.

LOIS
The truth. Right. About The Blur, who he is, the big mystery. Of course he never told me his identity, so I guess I don't even really know him. But I feel like I do. The thing is, Clark, The Blur and I, we have this special bond. Actually it's kind of like what you and I have together because I...I wish you were a mirror. (Clears throat.) What I'm really trying to say to you is that I know you.

CLARK
But you don't know The Blur. He's probably keeping it a secret for a reason.

LOIS
He's never gonna tell me, is he?

CLARK
Not if it means putting your life at risk.

LOIS
I wish he knew that I was willing to take that risk.

LOIS walks away, calls the elevator.

CLARK
All my life I've been afraid, Lois. Afraid of people knowing the truth about me, afraid of them rejecting me, and even if they didn't, still losing them. I've been afraid of everything I can't control. But when I was faced with the idea of losing you forever, it made me realize there's something that I would regret more than anything else. And that's not telling you the truth about me. Because that's the only way we could share a life together. I know the odds are stacked against us and we'd be risking everything, but if you're ready to take that leap, there's no one else I want to take that leap with.

Elevator opens. LOIS turns back.

CLARK
Lois, you've had a lot of questions about The Blur. It's me. I'm The Blur.

LOIS tackles CLARK to the floor, kisses him.

LOIS
What took you so long?

CLARK
What? You...? (Smiles.)

Well done.

No comments: