Saturday, May 14, 2016

Darwyn Cooke Dies

© by Gerald So | geraldso.blogspot.com | 1:00 P.M.

Just this past Thursday, I heard Darwyn Cooke was battling an aggressive form of cancer. Word broke early this morning he had died.

I discovered and enjoyed Cooke's work with the Warner Bros. cartoons Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series, but The New Frontier comics run means the most to me. Bridging the Golden and Silver Ages, Cooke presented the most compelling portrait of Hal Jordan to date, heavily likening Hal to American hero Chuck Yeager.

Evoking the era of unabashedly good-natured heroes, The New Frontier helped me remember why I first admired them. I can say the same about Javier Grillo-Marxuach's Middleman comics and TV series, so I wasn't surprised at Javi's tweet:



Rest in peace.

No comments: