Sunday, December 31, 2017

Looking Back

© by Gerald So | 5:00 a.m.

Yes, Donald Trump is as bad a public representative as I thought he'd be. If you choose, much of this year can be dominated by what he's done in office, but I choose to live as best I can regardless.

For me, this year was dominated by work on a story that started as a novel in 1995. I'd given up on it for years and could have done the same at various times this year, but I didn't. Even when I had no idea how to go on with the story, something about it wouldn't leave me alone. So while it was my nemesis, it was also the most fun way I could think to spend my time. This must be how novelists feel working on books for months or years.

Bouchercon 2017 was a highlight, getting to dine with members of the Short Mystery Fiction Society who had long been online friends, and of course meeting my friend and former boss at The Thrilling Detective Web Site, Kevin Burton Smith.

I'm not much for New Year's Eve or New Year's resolutions. I don't let the calendar dictate when I make changes. That said, I do wish you a happy and fruitful new year.

No comments: