Friday, May 10, 2019

It's Not YouTube TV. It's Me.

© by Gerald So | 4:30 AM

Last September, I dropped cable TV in favor of YouTube TV. This saved $72 a month and offered unlimited DVR storage for nine months.

Last month, though, YouTube TV announced a $10 price hike to $50 per month, taking effect May 13. Some new channels came along with the hike, notably Discovery-owned ones, but I'd gotten used to not having them. In short, YouTube TV became less valuable to me. We're canceling it this weekend.

It's not the radical move it would've been before smart TVs. We'll still have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and free Pluto TV. I'm looking forward to being largely off a live TV schedule. It'll give me more time for reading, writing, and anything else I'd like to do.

It means I'll have to buy more shows on DVD to watch them, but in the long run, that'll be less than I was paying per month for all the channels I wasn't watching and the one I was at any given moment.

No comments: