Saturday, September 21, 2019

Update on Netflix Adaptation of Robert B. Parker's Wonderland

© by Gerald So | 3:00 PM

It's been almost a year since I posted about the Netflix Spenser movie's progress. Principal photography wrapped December 18, 2018. Mark Wahlberg's Instagram showed him in Dorchester last month, apparently for reshoots, and he mentioned the movie would premiere in early 2020.

Wonderland's IMDb page only recently added Brien Helgeland's name as screenwriter, ahead of original scribe Sean O'Keefe. Director Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg mentioned Helgeland coming aboard last year, in some of their earliest interviews about the movie. As far as I know, however, the controversial element of Spenser being an ex-felon remained in the final script.

I've been less than satisfied with the Spenser TV adaptations to date, but I'm glad a new movie was made. I think its production value will surpass the Lifetime and A&E movies of the 1990s. If nothing else, Wonderland will show how Berg and Wahlberg envision Spenser today, and we can have our opinions on that.

I'll post again when I hear the exact premiere date. In the meantime, I again recommend Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes, this year's Hollywood-set Spenser continuation.

No comments: