Friday, December 20, 2019

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

© by Gerald So | 4:00 AM

I was glad to be in a group of twenty friends and friends of friends last night for the touted final chapter of the Skywalker saga. My experience of the trilogy has been mixed. As an adult, there's no way I can embrace movies to the utter extent I did as a child.

That said, spoiling nothing, one scene in The Rise of Skywalker changed my previously-low opinion of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo (Adam Driver) and had me rooting for him in the climactic moments. I saw this turnaround coming for years, sure I wouldn't buy it, yet I did. I can't deny that, no matter how many other aspects of the movie and the trilogy I disliked.

For better or worse, Star Wars has grown beyond George Lucas and its original fans. On that note, I can and have imagined more adventures of the Skywalkers and the Jedi than I'll ever see on a screen, the best gift a piece of pop culture can give.


L to R: Deshant Paúl, me, Andrew Carbone, Henry Carbone, John Ricotta

No comments: