Sunday, December 20, 2020

Kettlebells

© by Gerald So | 4:00 AM

Intrigued by kettlebells for years, I bought my first one three weeks ago, a used, leather-covered, sand-filled, fifteen-pound Bionic Body. Complementing my nine months resistance band work, it has really improved my balance, strength, and endurance. During last week's snowstorm, I was able to do four rounds of shoveling, each followed by recovery exercise, and had minimal spasms the next day, none yesterday.

Part of my shoveling motivation was my second kettlebell, thirty-five pounds, the starting weight recommended to average men, was out for delivery from Rogue Fitness. Though I like the Bionic Body's soft properties, its heaviest model is forty pounds. Steel competition models meanwhile range higher in weight and maintain a standard shape and handle dimensions but cost about $25 more than cast iron traditional bells. I also considered a RitFit (Chinese) neoprene-covered bell, but for slightly less money, I was able to get the non-rubberized Rogue bell, part of a new Michigan-made line that goes up to 88 pounds, enough to match my progress for life. UPS delivered it by my garage, and I farmer's-walked it to my room.

On Christmas Eve, a 4-square foot, 3/8-inch thick recycled rubber mat is due to arrive to protect my workout space. I'm glad to have studied and met my fitness goals with the right kind and amount of equipment.

No comments: