Monday, March 14, 2022

Season's Meaning

© by Gerald So | 4:30 AM

As I was preparing for Lent, my mother developed serious shortness of breath. I was afraid she wouldn't survive last weekend. Vaccinated and boosted, fortunately she did and has slowly improved each day since. Extended family from New Jersey, Florida, and Seattle have come to help care for her. My brother and I also pre-planned her funeral with the time we got.

My mother gave up her career as a pediatric surgeon to raise us while our father continued working to provide for us until he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 1995. With successful surgery he lived five-and-a-half years more. I'm grateful my mother has similarly gotten more time and that all of us are able to give of ourselves to help her recover.

Like the pandemic in 2020 and '21, this episode clearly shows me the meaning of sacrifice.

No comments: