Saturday, January 07, 2023

My Post-Twitter World

© by Gerald So | 10:00 AM

I created a Mastodon account two months ago and have not only tweeted much less but also resisted posting to Mastodon as often as I did Twitter.

As I blogged previously, I like that Mastodon is decentralized, not for sale, and not driven by an algorithm, but in taking stock of my Twitter activity, I realize I tweeted a lot without thinking. Many of my tweets had no lasting relevance. I don't want to fall into the same habit on Mastodon.

You may argue it's fine; social media posts don't have to be especially meaningful or relevant. Granted, but I argue any communication should aim for meaning and relevance. If not, what are we communicating? Why are we communicating?

Spending more time away from social media, I don't feel the need to have my say on current, fleeting events. I still have the ideology developed over the years, only I'm not expressing it in short social media posts, and it has made all the difference.

No comments: