Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Brian Shaw's Final World's Strongest Man

© by Gerald So | 6:30 AM

I have fond memories of watching marathons of the World's Strongest Man finals on ESPN2. In early 2020, having dropped cable TV, I reconnected with the sport of strongman through Brian Shaw's YouTube channel, getting to see his affable nature with wife, kids, training partners, competitors, and fans.

It would've been nice to see him win a fifth World's Strongest Man title, but pragmatically older strength athletes are at a disadvantage against younger. The older you get, the more difficult it is to prepare and make your way into contention. Athletes like Mark Felix and Brian Shaw should be commended for it.

I suspect many strength athletes use performance enhancers or eat exorbitant diets to maintain themselves. In my pursuit of greater everyday strength, I don't have the inclination to use PEDs nor the money to support such a diet, but part of me will always wonder and be amazed how strong humans can be.

No comments: