Tuesday, December 05, 2023

I've Finally Seen: INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY

© by Gerald So | 11:30 PM

After some debate, I pre-ordered DIAL OF DESTINY on 4K Blu-ray,

In 1969 New York, retired professor Jones is drinking alone at a bar when his goddaughter Helena Shaw (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) finds him and convinces him to look for an artifact that dropped from a train thirty years earlier while Indy and her father Basil Shaw were fighting Nazis.

I expected worse from this movie after its mixed reviews and box office disappointment. I ended up preferring it to CRYSTAL SKULL, but none of the original trilogy. I realize that's not saying much, but then, CRYSTAL SKULL had a important character, John Hurt's Harold Oxley, speak jibberish almost the entire time.

Critics blasted Helena Shaw as as unlikable, but come on. We're not supposed to like her for much of the movie. I'll remember this one for the unrealistic expectations Disney placed on it because they badly needed a post-pandemic blockbuster. Story-wise, it's fine, an adventure of older Indy.

Everyone says this will be the finale. That's what they said about CRYSTAL SKULL...

No comments: